Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger rigger is offline

Default Unions

On Nov 26, 7:45 am, "*" wrote:
rigger wrote in article

Sorry you think my comments are insults Harold, but
the fact is by ignoring the good that comes with unions
(please deny this here to validate my point; thank you)
you only show yourself as predjudiced and not open to
reasoning. Example: "I know the truth." tells me what
I need to know.

Harold's truth comes from experience. It is the best kind.

You, on the other hand, seem to need your truth filtered through union
dogma.

Here's some union truth for ya'....

We used to have a teachers' workshop day on the day before school opened
every year.

At the end of this workshop, the union was allowed to make its pitch for
membership after which we would be sent to our own buildings to prepare for
school opening..

Since I had no intention of joining the union, I used to go back to my
building at the beginning of the union pitch, and work on whatever needed
to be worked on for the opening of school.

One year, I was told by my Director that I "must" stay for the union pitch,
because they would be answering questions - especially from non-members.

One question came up, and I raised my hand.

The leader of the local looked at me and said, "I cannot recognize you
since you are not a member of the union."

To which I replied, "Then why am I being forced to sit here?"

To which he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I walked out, and went back to my building - as I had for many years
before.

Not a single word was said to me regarding me leaving this "important"
meeting.

This same "leader" came to our building a few weeks later and, while
sitting in our faculty room with a half-dozen of us, stated, "I want 100
percent membership, and I'll come after any non-members with a baseball
bat."

I invited him to step outside at that moment to settle things - just him
and me, and his bat if he though he wasn't man enough on his own - but he
declined with a scarlet face.

I'm proud to say that a fellow teacher came up to me afterward and stated
that he was leaning towards joining the union, but he changed his mind when
he saw me stand up to the punk who was trying to coerce people with a lot
of trash talk......all symbolism, no substance - just like most punk-assed
bullies.

So, even though people have not had the "union experience" as members, it
doesn't mean that they haven't had experience with the union......not at
all.

And, it is arrogant on your part to suggest that one must be or have been a
member of a union to be able to speak intelligently about their own
experiences with labor organizations.

Thanks "*", that was so refreshing:

Harold's truth comes from experience. It is the best kind.

You, on the other hand, seem to need your truth filtered through

union
dogma.

And then:

And, it is arrogant on your part to suggest that one must be or have been a
member of a union to be able to speak intelligently about their own
experiences with labor organizations.

Yep, you sure have me and the entire union situation
figured out to a "t", don't you? I guess that makes you
the "right one": who can argue with logic like that? I
give up due to your and Harold's masterful understanding
gained through your years of study. Good for you.

dennis
in nca