Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Replacing glass panes with double-glazed units

Mary Fisher wrote:
"clot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"clot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I spent 4 years in Leeds, ('68 to '72 I think). LS2 - there's a
clue! I still have fond memories. I used to sail on the flooded
gravel pit at Pool, spent many a day walking around the reservoirs
at Eccup and adjacent. Also, of course, The Cow and Calf. Still
have a friend living just under that!

Must be uncomfortable ...

Did you have to take me so literally?

:-) Would you have been able to resist?

Do you recall Whitelocks? Is it still there?

I used to go in my misspent youth but no longer. I think it's still
there, one of the Tourist Attractions. Hardly ever go into town
except the Farmer's Market once a month. We hate shopping and anyway
we have everything we need and don't want anything more than that.

Used to be the only place that sold Scottish & Newcastle No.3.
T'was a wonderful brew that I'd take after having gone to the
market on a Saturday.

Well yes, when I was that age I knew every pub in West Yorkshire.
We change though, don't we!

Here's a test: what's the name (now or then) of the one at the
crossroads at Poole Bank?

Ah, the Dynely Arms.

Thank you. That's put my mind at rest. I've been struggling with its
name for a while.

It was gutted by fire and left boarded for a
long time, it's now being restored, sort of, with quite a lot of
living accommodation, flats I think. I remember that one because we
once went in the firm's Transit van and I locked the keys inside
(being a blonde airhead). Spouse went to the back door and turned the
handle with such strength that it broke and gave us access.

I still have some work relationships with the City - University,
but rarely visit - the last occasion was about a year ago when
attending a conference at the University accommodation in
Woodhouse.

We're in Chapeltown. The first ten years of my life were spent in
Woodhouse, in the Servias. I went to Meanwood Road School then
Allerton High. My earliest memories are of All Soul's Church
(Blackman Lane), Woodhouse Moor playground, library and fairs. The
Parkinson Building inspired me with awe in those days but later,
when I had friends who were using the University, it just seemed
full of scruffy youngsters. You might have been one ... :-)

I'll have you know that I was an erudite young person! Well, most of
the time.

Oh, so was I, but it doesn't have to go with being scruffy :-)

A son lives up the road, another at Kirkstall. Yet another moves
house frequently (RAF), a daughter in France and another with a
farm in Wales complete the litter. I think they've finished
spawning - I hope they have - but great grandchildren might loom :-(

Kirstall - if I recall correctly - was where YTV was based. I recall
getting a lift from Jess Yates back to Wales. That was many moons
ago!

It was, and is, on Kirkstall Road but not at Kirkstall itself. No 3
son's company is just behind it. No idea who Jes Yates is, I assume a
tv personality but we haven't a tv - although we do make things for
YTV. The latest was a lot of big candles for yet another version of
Pride and Prejudice, to be called Lost in Austen, it will largely be
filmed at Harewood House I gather.

He was.

Where in Wales?

Ffaldybrenin.

I came from under the gooseberry bush in Bangor and spent my youth
in N Wales and also worked in Mold for a short while later on. I
still have a sailing boat yng Gnonwy, (in Conwy).

Bryn Awel (the farm) is much further south, Carmarthenshire.

'Appended that I was mulling over a pint with a friend that hails
from Leeds "this evening". Curiously, his daughter now lives back in
his former locale and for the past two years he has been Santa at
the church he used to attend as a youngster!

Spouse was asked to do that once but Fisher men don't do happy. He
sat in his grot with his usual scowl (hidden mostly by his big,
natural beard) and the kiddies stopped dead at the entrance.
Eventually I signalled to him to make a welcoming gensture with his
arms, which had a better response.

That made me smile!

He hasn't been asked since :-) To his relief I might add - the
costume was made for a very tall, very fat man. Spouse is 5'5" and 9
stones dripping wet.

Mary