Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I can't speak for him, nor for his religion------but I, too, don't use a
DRO, Never have, and likely never will.

I was trained on manual machines, and made my living with them until I
closed the doors on my commercial shop back in '83. I don't use a DRO
because I can run machines without one-----and prefer to keep those skills
sharp. I can still split thousandths reliably, and my dial is coarse, .400"
off the diameter per revolution. Nice part about this is I can keep
working should the DRO die, which many would find challenging.

Uncle used dials all his life too. He can see how a DRO could be useful but
at this point in life why bother playing with something that might bite him
in the butt.

I can work either way though I'm more likely to blue and scribe lines when
using dials to keep me honest.

Most people want a dro on a mill but get along fine w/o one on a lathe. I
don't see surface grinders with them either. The idea of fitting a DRO to
the surface grinder is interesting though.

Since you did a lot of grinding, when you re-dressed a wheel, how did you
rapidly pick up on where you left off and keep track of how far you were
from where you wanted to be?

On our ID/OD grinders, the wheels are sent periodically to the diamond
dresser by a certain amount further than the last time. The machine now
knows the reduction in diameter of the wheels and creates new offset data
and goes back where it left off.

Wes