Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default furnace condensation (?) hoses

Thanks for the reply, I popped the covers immediately after the furnace
cycled off and the hoses didn't feel particularly hot, I'll consider it
done (see my other post, I used clear vinyl with the internal braid only
because HD was out of the plain vinyl. Also used real hose clamps as
the vinyl is a lot stiffer than the old rubber hoses.)

thanks,

nate

EXT wrote:
My furnace uses clear vinyl tubes to drain condensate.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Hi all,

got a Ruud "90 plus" furnace, a little over 10 years old, recently retro'd
with A/C. Came home this PM and was disappointed to see that the floor in
my basement was slightly damp, even after my recent escapades with
regrading the side yard. (I was checking because it rained today for the
first time in a while, and I wanted to make sure I didn't have an issue.)
Anyway, the dampness seems to be coming from *INSIDE* the furnace; there
are two hoses in the bottom section of the furnace that I am guessing have
to do with draining condensation (they attach to a small black plastic
thing inside the case which is also connected to the PVC pipe going to the
condensate pump.) They're completely rotted and crack at the slightest
touch. So, I ASSume they need replacement.

Question is, do these need to be any special kind of hose? They appear to
be standard black rubber, 1/2" i.d. and I was figuring on going to the
Despot and getting some of that clear stuff in a similar size, just so I
don't have to turn the furnace off to get this cleared up. However, is
this a permanent fix, or should something else be used? The "real"
appliance repair shop isn't open after 5 PM and the odds of me getting
home before then are about nil.

thanks,

nate

--