Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger Digger is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:27:46 GMT, John Horner
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:50:17 GMT, John Horner
wrote:

Where to the rest of you sit with this question?

I couldn't care less, I buy for quality and price, if it does what I
need it to do at a price I'm willing to pay, I buy it. The U.S. needs
to be able to compete in a world market, artificially picking inferior
tools at higher prices just because of where they were put together is
foolish.

Certainly I wouldn't buy an inferior product just because of it's
country of manufacture, but there is also more to life than cheapness.

I don't want to live in a country which sinks to China's level in
environmental policies, lack of labor protection and government enforced
one-child-per-woman laws. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong
with forcing women to have abortions if they are about to have an
unauthorized second child?

I'm all for commercial competitiveness, but it is not possible to
compete price wise with a competitor who has a much lower set of safety,
environmental, intellectual property and human rights standards.

John

I couldn't agree more. Where and who did the Chinese copy to produce
cheap **** on a unlevel playing field! And we are allowing American
business to sell our future down the drain for profits! How will our
kids feel when the only jobs available here are at third world wages.
American ingenuity created most of the products available and then
were copied in "sweat shops" around the world. The Chinese have been
buying American debt for years and as soon as we can't buy their
products any longer they can trash the dollar and we will be in an
endless economic tailspin that will make mexico look like the golden
era!
Keep on with that "couldn't care less" and drive more nails in the
inevitable coffin. I would hate to admit I was that ill informed!!