Posted to alt.home.repair
samurai samurai is offline

Default What's wrong with my furnace?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:04:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
Apologies if this was double-posted.

My furnace seems to be running way too often, upwards of 30 minutes
every 30 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter how cold it gets outside,
it's always the same.

If you're anywhere near Rochester, I can recommend a heating company that's
terrific.

How many square feet is your house? The furnace sounds like it is a
mid-low efficient, at about 75%. 65,000 Btu input, 48,000 Btu Output.

1) Check your furnace filter, be sure it is not clogged.
2) Try a digital Thermostat. I just replaced mine with a Honeywell
touch screen, my furnace runs different now, the cycle times are
closer, and the on/off times are different. Also, the fan does not
run as long as it use to.
3) Check that the air return vents are not clogged either.
4) Thermocouples could be dirty, a cleaning with steel wool may help.

It also sounds like partly the thermostat is not telling the furnce it
has achieved temperature, and not shutting off.
Or if it is an older furnce, then there may be a problem with the
upper/lower limits switches of the furnace.

Let us know what you've tried and what the solution was.

samurai.