Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Worth Turning off the water heater while on vacation?

On Nov 26, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:30:43 -0800 (PST), runsrealfast

wrote:
i could just turn off the water heater then it
wouldn't run. I would just have to wait once we got back into town to
run hot water.

Sure. It should only take about 15-20 minutes to get enough hot water
for a quick shower or to do dishes and you should have the whole tank
hot in 1.5 hours 120 degrees from 50 (50 gallons with 5.5kw heat
elements, 70 degree delta, ~28000 BTU)

The old idea that it costs more to heat up a tank than to turn off the
power, simply doesn't pass the laugh test for anyone who understands
physics.

Good to know that. Thanks!