Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Repair ATX power supply

"Dave" writes:

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
. ..
Throw it away. At this point, not only will it cost more to replace
all the bad parts than buying a new spare supply, you're likely to
never repair it as many other things can blow, and if you fail to find
even
a single one and replace it, they may all blow again instantly.

It's more an exercise in troubleshooting and repair than anything.. If I
wanted a spare I would buy one..

Sorry, but SMPS's are A REAL ******* to diagnose and repair... that's why so
many very competent professionals who repair electronic gear for a living
have suggested that you throw it away. It's like saying "I'd like to learn
math, and I'm going to start with this advanced calculus text." If you want
to learn to fix something, choose a) something fixable and b) something
worth fixing. The way in which switch-mode power supplies operate makes
them by nature dangerous to work on as well, which is less than ideal for a
novice as you really can hurt yourself.

Another thing to consider is: Would you trust that repaired power supply
to be a spare for your new turbo-charged PC if its power supply dies,
given that you may have barely understood what you did to get it working?