Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Sony KV J29 Green Lines

"MP" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 12:50 am, "James Sweet" wrote:
"MP" wrote in message

Today, I opened the TV. Here are some of my experiements

I could locate the G2 pot on the PBC on the screen neck. I tried to
vary the G2 and clockwise movement helped to make these lines a bit
more lighter but then the TV takes about 1 minute to show the picture
whereas sound comes out immediately. I did some trial and error and
have kept the setting that reduces the lines a bit but takes about 30
to 45 sec for the picture to appear on the screen.

Can someon help me with the schematic and service manual ? I dont know
how to find the chassis number, but this is what I could read on all
the boards

Trace out the green video amp, try disconnecting the wire carrying the
green
video from the main board to the neck board by removing the solder from
the
pin and see if the green lines dissappear. If you can narrow down which
board the problem is on, you'll make things easier.

Sure I will do this. Another thing I noticed. About an year back,
this TV had developed a problem. The sony technician said he would do
direct connection of the CRT tube. I see that he has taken a simple
wire with insulation, wound about 4 to 5 turns around the Flyback
arm. One wire end is soldered to the H pin ( I think it was H-) on
the CRT neck board. This H pin is one of the 13pins that hook into
the CRT.....and other wire is soldered to a resistor very near to the
H- pin. one end of the resistor is on the board and the other end is
removed and connected to this wire. Not sure what this arrangement
was for....

I know, the above is more english and less technical, but thats all i
could see there.... can anyone pls help me to understand what the
technician tried to do here ?

He's isolated the heater, suspecting a heater to cathode short inside the
electron gun. It's quite possible that your problem is in fact a faulty
picture tube.