Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Nov 26, 5:57 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 26, 3:54 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

How is "their behavior" "irresponsible, nay, short-lived"? If you
are talking about consuming fuel, if everybody drove a mo-ped it
would still run out, just might take a little longer. There is no
level of consumption that will result in the oil lasting forever.
Might be the great grandkids instead of the grandkids who have to
transition to a different fuel, but it's still going to happen.

Might as well blow it all out of our asses and get it over with,
huh?
I tend to support the viewpoint that if we conserve, we might buy
ourselves enough time to find alternate solutions.

We "found alternate solutions" more than 50 years ago. Right now they
aren't economically attractive and aren't going to be economically
attractive until the price of what we are using now rises to a point
that is higher than the cost not only of the alternatives but of
making the transition including building the necessary infrastructure.

If you were in a
life-boat, you wouldn't eat everything on board in one day, would
you?

In a life boat one hopes to be rescued or to reach land. We are not
in a life boat, nobody is going to rescue us, there is no land to be
reached.

No you wouldn't. You would conserve in the hope that there would be
rescue.

By who, space aliens?

This ball of dirt on which we float about in space, will not get
rescued by an outside source. Our resources are finite.
Conserving what we have is nothing but smart.

So what level of conservation to you want to require? Do you want to
just ban SUVs? Then people who want big vehicles will start driving 2
ton trucks instead. Or city buses. Or something else that gives them
the room that they want. Or do you think that I'm consuming
excessively riding my 650 and want me to ride a Vespa instead?

"Smell my exhaust, you serfs!" "I am on this planet all by myself,
eating and drinking and driving what ""I"" want." " I have NO
responsibility to my fellow planet dwellers." "It is all for ME,
ME,
ME *diabolical laughter*."
"And I will kill those who have more fuel for me to burn!!!!"

Nice.

OK, now you've officially lost it.

LOL... you think? Naaa, my sense of the absurd has its own way to
illustrate things.
You probably wouldn't understand why I broke out laughing when I saw
Lincoln pick-up truck.

Nahh, I'd have thought it was funny too. By the way, do you have a
problem with pick up trucks or is it just SUVs?

Still trying to steer the conversation, eh?
And I was right again. You didn't understand why I broke out laughing
when I saw a Lincoln pick-up truck.
I had no problem with it. No problem with SUV's either.

But seeing that you've descended into the need to use strawmen and red
herrings in your arguments, I will just just slam the door on this
discussion as there is no hope of it becoming constructive.