Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

mac davis wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:34:47 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Have to agree with you Mac. Remember when "J.A.Pan & Co." meant junk or
popcorn toys (must be dating myself there). Their first cars into North
America were a joke, but they did their homework and now they are
forerunners in industry. It seems that China may be following the same
route.

That brought back a dim memory... when I was a kid, I got some kind of
little toy out of a gumball machine and it broke.. I asked my dad if he
could fix it and he said "nope, it's potmetal.. must be made in Japan"..
Not sure if there really is something called pot metal, but I've always
remembered him saying that..

Remember the same thing. I think "pot metal" was reference to a very low
grade of metal casting that would neither weld, braze, nor glue well after
it was made.