Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default Precise Long Cuts?

Spend the extra bucks and buy the most expensive one
you can find. Porter Cable, Makita, Dewalt, and many
more make up the list.

Here is a small story on circular saws:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...wbuyguide.html

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...c ular%20Saws

Do NOT buy a cheap circular saw...

Oh... and build one of these to make the cuts:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

and build another one 8' long for full sheets of plywood.

Adam wrote:

I need to make a precise cut of wood to be 24" long and only 4 1/2" wide.

Right now all I really have is a 10" compound miter saw (as far as saws
are concerned) - which obviously won't do.

I did just pick up a very nice Porter Cable router!

So now I am sort of stuck realizing I am going to need to buy yet again
another power tool

I am avoiding buying a table saw because I don't want to get the
cheapest one ($99 Ryobi). I would much rather save up and buy one later
on that is nicer.

I have considered buying a circular saw ($50 Skil) that has an
Accu-Sight. Along with that I will setup a fence. Do you think that is a
good plan / option? Any other tips that you guys have for me? This is my
first wood working project and I am anxious to get started with it!