Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Low-voltage recessed lights - what are the advantages?

In article , dnoyeB wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:30:24 -0800, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I can't quite figure out the advantage of low-voltage recessed
lighting over the line voltage variety. I *have* noticed that they are
more expensive and that dimmers for them are much more expensive. But
what the advantages to consider?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Voltage kills bulbs. I would expect that they would last longer. Barring
that they should be cheaper to make for lasting the same length of time.
They should produce less heat and can be put into smaller packages. But
for a recessed light I can't see the benefit.

One advantage of low voltage incandescents and halogens is that the
shorter, thicker filaments operate more efficiently. Thicker filaments
can be operated at a slightly higher temperature for the same life
expectancy.

Thicker filaments in gas filled incandescents, halogen or otherwise,
also result in a lower temperature gradient in the immediately surrounding
gas, so heat conduction from the filament to the gas per unit area of
filament is less.

- Don Klipstein )