Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Heating a 650 sq' wood shop

J.A. Michel wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I live in the Seattle area. I have a 2.5 car garage which I am
developing into a woodworking shop. There will be 1 car parked
there also. Although it generally doesn't get quite as cold here as
it does in some other parts of the country, it gets cold ENOUGH at
times during winter to keep me out of the shop. I'd like to add
some source of heat. The shop has 2 wooden single car garage doors,
reasonably well sealed, unheated living space about, 2 78" x 48"
double pane windows, an 8' ceiling, and drywall on all walls. Walls
are currently uninsulated, but adding blown in insulation should be
pretty easy. To start, I am considering either an electric heater,
such as this: http://www.heater-home.com/product/G73.aspx. Although
the specs on this one say up to 500 sq', the climate here's not that
cold, plus all I really want it to do is get the space up to 55-60.
The downside is the cost of electricity to run the unit. Another option
seems to be a non-vented propane heater (we do not
have natural gas) like this one:
http://www.heatershop.com/garage_heater_gp30t.html Pretty cheap,
but I'd have to buy a 100# propane tank to go with it which adds
cost, though operation is probably a lot less than the electric
type. But I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with using a
non-vented propane heater. I'm sure there are people here with experience
heating a workshop. Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Dan

My shop/garage is 800 SQFT, insulated to R-19 in the walls (2x6) and
R-38 in the ceiling. I also have insulated garage doors. I heat
with a simple 30,000 BTU flame thrower bazooka type heater.
http://www.reddyheat.com/productType...1-4-&sub=10094
It's noisy, but it heats the heck out of my shop. I use it with a
100 pound propane tank. I run it 'till it's 60 or 65, then turn it
off. Of course I'd like a more permanent heating solution, but I'm
not out there enough to justify the cost. HTH.

Be careful with these types of heaters. They are not meant to perform in an
enclosed area. If the oxygen is depleated enough through the combustion
process, the products of combustion could result in 'incomplete' combustion
producting carbon monoxide.

As for a garage area, any fossile fuel burning appliance needs to be 18"
[inches] off the floor. The fire and mechanical codes are clear about this.
The reasoning is that possability the gasoline fumes could become ignited
exists. Another issue is return [conditioned] air vs. combustion air. As
long as the garage area can support combustion air [see you local code]
you'll be ok. Otherwise you might need to provide a fresh air intake of
sorts to allow for combustion air. If all else, read the manufacturer's
instructions about providing combustion air.

Good luck
--
Zyp