Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Holes

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:37:04 +0000, Boru wrote:

I`ve just been given some wood and it bears the mark of woodworm. Do I turn
it and whatever is showing is the way it is or are people that fussy?

The reason I ask is that my wife was given a bowl as a present from a "pro"
woodturner. No bowl will leave my shop with tearout on show but what do ye
think ?

I was working on a butternut vase that had hundreds of little worm holes and
having a hell of a time keeping them open... the shavings and sanding dust kept
plugging them up and I wanted them to be a feature of the piece..

Chuck had a great idea: Wax the rough sanded piece on the lathe to fill the
holes, sand to whatever grit you want and then hit it with a heat gun to melt
the wax out.. worked great..
Actually, I did a show this weekend and almost sold that ugly sucker..
If you happened to see my "Baja Art Show" post on ABPW, it's on the back corner
of the extra table..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing