Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:40:39 GMT, Bob the Tomato wrote:

Do you know the "Harbor Freight Smell"? That's the smell of lead
paint mixed with cheap plasticizers, or something. Anyhow, it's very
distinctive, and Sears didn't have it until a couple of years ago.
The HF power tools have this cheap plastic housing that is usually
orange or something. It actually has a bit of an oily film on it when
you first take the tool out of the box. It might be mold release, or
it might be plasticizer oozing out of the plastic, I don't know. And
they *always* have that strong smell. Then you have the cardboard
box. I keep the old boxes from my purchases. That way I can locate
by Craftsman jigsaw from 1985 quickly, and keep all the accessories
and the manual together with it. Those cardboard boxes are sturdy and
have a real solid feel about them. The new ones feel like a wet
cereal box. I don't know how to describe it, they just do.

I guess my nose is too old to tell the difference...
I tried a HF biscuit jointer to see if that was a tool worth adding.. when made
a few things with it and realized that biscuits were a good thing, I bought the
Dewalt one with the craftsman name on it..

It's been working great for years but just to be safe I better get a neighbor or
someone to smell it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing