Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Maybe I'm 'late for the party' - I just saw the heading . . . with only one
'comment'.

Mine is not so much about 'Sears', but the original question.

I care quite a bit where my tools come from . . . and am ruefully aware that
'we' don't seem to 'manufacture' ANYTHING in the US anymore. In another
sense it's 'Horses for Courses', and I HATE getting 'Ripped Off'.

NO, my 'rant' isn't about 'cheap goods' - it's about those 'Old Line',
well-recognized named ones that push their historical 'high quality' image.
While the 'image' is portrayed by the Logo, the 'fine print' {usually hidden
on the bottom, back of the packaging . . . says 'Made in China'.

If I need a SPECIFIC tool, for a 'one-time' use, it's financially foolish to
get one of the 'Lifetime Quality' cost. {Agreed - there are exceptions}.
Similarly, if you know a certain tool will not be 'worn out' but 'beat to
death' by the environment of it's use - think of it as a 'semi-consumable' .
.. . like specialized sanding 'disks'. So, Yes - I do buy from Harbor
Freight, knowing the stuff is typically 'Made in China', and of lower
quality. BUT the cost is equally LOW - especially if I use the SALES.

While I do feel twinges of guilt, I know what is going on - from the start.
What REALLY P****S me off is going into either one of the few hardware
stores, or the huge 'Emporiums', and looking at the racks of 'High Quality,
High Price, 'All-American' Brand's, and seeing that fine print. I can put
the two items side-by-side and in many cases they are IDENTICAL !! In most
the only MATERIAL difference is in 'final finish / polish' and color. The
PRICE difference can be a factor of 10x !!

You can't blame the Chinese for THAT !!

{Rant . . Off}

Regards & Thanks {for the soapbox - again}
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote ...
Bob the Tomato wrote:

Sears used to mean quality... the best.

While it was plenty "good enough", especially for the DIY world, I don't

think Sears was ever "The Best". In many cases, Sears was simply the only
game in town.