Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Your worst project?

Wes wrote:

Is that what I would call a PCB board stuffer?

Slight confusion, this is for SMT, not through-hole, but, yet,
it places the parts on the board. I paid $1500 for the machine
in completely-working condition, with 50 feeders (these go for
$200-300 each, used). I had to pay about $2500 to have a door
widened for the machine - ouch!

Looks like your knees don't beat into it compared to a rectangular stand.

How much was the freight on that big rock and what were you scraping?

Ahh, I went out to the local KBC store and picked it up in my
Toyota Corolla station wagon. They guys in the warehouse were a
LITTLE leery about putting a 375 Lb (shipping weight) plate in
the back of my car, but I figured two big guys could easily
weigh that much. The rear DID sag a bit, but I got it home,
then had a big problem dragging it out of the back of the car
and hurt my back. Oh, but I saved a bundle on shipping, never
mind that my back will never be quite the same!!!

I scraped a Michael Morgan straightedge, and then used that to
"scrape" my 15" Sheldon lathe
http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/sheldon.html
I have since scraped in a set of 3 right angles against each
other, and will someday use those to redo my Bridgeport.

The reason I sav "scrape" above is the Sheldon had flame
hardened tool steel ways that a carbide scraper blade just
glides over, doesn't even leave a scratch! I had to spot as
usual, then use a die grinder and white Cratex muslin-bonded
polishing wheels to remove material in a controlled fashion.
VERY slow!

Jon