Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

Clark Magnuson wrote:
The dials are etched, and are .200" per turn.
I can't read them without magnification and an extra lamp.
I would like to make them black down in the grooves and white on top.
How is that done?
TIA

If there is any depth to them, paint and either a fast wipe with a
solvent dampened cloth, or sandpaper on a backing block.

You can also get black wax crayons for filling in the markings. Rub
in, wipe with a dry cloth. Repeat as required.

Consider springing for new dials,. They are availablefor the
Bridgeport style machines, and adaptable to others.

Best solution, though not the cheap one, DRO! On a mill, put 3 axiis
on, and forget about the quill, or put one of the cheapo digital
micrometer type units on the quill.

Cheers
Trevor Jones