Posted to uk.d-i-y
Craig[_2_] Craig[_2_] is offline

Default Cannon cooker blowup

On 26 Nov, 11:28, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Craig wrote:
We had a problem yesterday with our Cannon York Electric cooker which
we have owned for 2 years.

My wife put a couple of quiches in the oven which only normally took
20 minutes to cook. Â*On checking them after this time they had turned
completely black which alarmed us. Â*The element in the back of the
oven was glowing bright orange and the only way to cool the oven down
was to switch it off at the electric.

Later in the day, my wife put the Sunday roast in the oven as it now
appeared to be working fine. Â*We were sat watching the TV when
suddenly we heard a big smash like something had fallen off the work
surface. What had happened was that the temperature in the oven was so
hot (although the dial was only on 180 degrees) that the inner glass
window had shattered into thousands of pieces and was all over the
kitchen floor, the oven floor and even in the second oven above.

I turned the power back on at the mains this morning and the oven
immediately came on even though the dial was set to the off position.

My wife spoke to Cannons this morning who basically didnt want to know
even though this seems to be a very serious design flaw if the glass
can shatter like that without any obvious tripout mechanisim in place
to shut down the oven should it reach a certain temperature.

What it now means is that we need to go and buy an new oven only 2
years after paying over �400 for one that should have lasted a lot
longer than it has done

Household insurance.

Thermostat was obviously faulty.- Hide quoted text -

Did think about this.
Would hosehold insurance cover it?
what would it be classed as?