Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turned leg design help

Hi Chuck, If your design turns out to have what some say a "pommel",
some say a "pummel" (since I'm no furniture maker I say a "square
section") at the top, I offer one bit of advice from sad experience.

Probably advising a furniture maker to measure carefully is preaching to
the choir, but just in case:

I usually center spindles by eye, figuring the piece will be brought
into round & be concentric when turned between centers anyway. Not so
with pommels and pummels. If the blank is not square and centered
accurately you will never get the square section centered on the rest of
the leg ...and that's neither art nor craft.

I suggest that a leg with a simple short square section at the top
ending with a cove or an ogee then a long plain tapered cylinder without
coves or beads to the foot looks good, is easy to turn, sand and finish,
and not as difficult to duplicate as fancy coves & beads. Just remember
to 'KIS' & 'KIC' (keep it simple & keep it crisp).

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter