Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Brian Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:23:13 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:

Oddly enough, they sell them everywhere else but North America. Many
Tacomas are sold worldwide, as the Hilux, with diesel engines. The 4
liter gas V6 is a North America-only powerplant.

That's because Americans don't really like disesl. It's like looking
at the car market in the UK and Europe compared to the US. There are
tons of really nice, extremely gas-efficient cars made in Europe but
because they're not the size of a schoolbus, Americans won't drive
them. We bitch about gas heading for $5 a gallon, but we won't give
up our gas-guzzling SUVs. Go figure.

Maybe because we know there are answers other than driving glorified
bubbles powered by lawn mower engines? We have ample opportunity, shale
oil in the west, Anwar to the north, oil off of Florida before the Chinese
and Cubans suck it dry, etc. The reserves are there, but the will to
overcome the resistance to developing our own sources seems to be weak.