william_b_noble

Default VFD won't work on lathe, Why?

what they are telling you makes no sense. if the motor is a 3 phase 220V
motor, AND you hook it correctly to a VFD, AND you plug the VFD into 220,
the motor ought to work properly. There is no reason why the VFD need to
know gear ratio unless you expect the VFD display to read out in RPM. as
others have said, a VFD will drive pretty much any 3 phase motor, and in
home use, there seems to be no problem. You are getting the run-around.

"Wayne" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a Leeson VFD (Model #174273, leeson.com) installed
on a lathe by the seller. It has 220v sgl phase in. I purchased
the VFD separately.

I know they have experience with VFD's. A service tech
working for a drive manufacturer was also there and helped
out. I don't think I clearly understood the issue, but here goes...
They tell me that the motor doesn't have any torque. They also said that
the VFD would need to know what gear range the lathe is in in order
to work properly. The motor is not a VFD rated motor. They are
uncomfortable selling the lathe with the VFD because of the
poor performance.

I assumed as long as I kept the VFD @ 60 hz, I could use the
gear ranges on the lathe as if it was hooked up to a normal
3 phase power line. Then I could make small speed adjustments.

I did ask if I bought a VFD rated motor if they thought this
would solve the issue. It sounded like it would help, but
still not work right.

I'm getting Leeson to contact them.

I've done searches for VFD information in this NG before I
bought. I never heard of anyone having an issue like this.
Or having a motor that wouldn't work with a VFD.

I'm puzzled, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Wayne