Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Cooniedog wrote:

The answer to wasted superiority is simple - cheaper labor equals more
and much bigger profits for the U.S. companies, who happen to be the
cronies of the current administration.

Please, this goes way past the last 6 3/4 years. I know lots of folks
like the mantra, "It's Bush's fault", but let's be reasonable and recognize
that this problem has been going on for quite some time, with roots as far
back as the 50's and 60's. I'm not old enough to remember, but have had
mentors tell me about purchasing appliances or cars in that era. The US
manufacturers considered themselves to be the only game in town and really
pretty much didn't give a rip about the opinions or needs of consumers.
You also had organized labor applying extortionist demands on those
industries, forcing deeper and larger concessions -- the bill for which is
coming due even now. The bottom line here is greed and has been practiced
by both sides of this issue, labor and management.

One of the pieces of good news regarding the lowered value of the dollar
is that it is now making US goods attractive on the world market again.
Spoke with someone this morning who is involved in commercial aerospace
components -- they are seeing an upswing in foreign sales opportunities.

.... snip