Posted to alt.home.repair, pdaxs.services.plumbing
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Toilet clogs frequently

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:31:51 -0800, wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, and I've done a lot of reading
about this problem and some troubleshooting. I'm almost ready to throw
the toilets out and buy new ones.

I've been in the house for over 1 year, and the two toilets on the main
floor clog at least 50% of the time when flushing solids. When flushing
only water, it's never a problem. Both toilets are Mansfield from about
1978. The tanks of both fill up to the dip tube, and there is nothing
in the tank to use up space to save water. I've poured 1/2 gal of
muriatic acid down the dip tube to clear out the water jets, which
didn't seem to be clogged at all to begin with (I tried a piece of wire
first). These toilets don't have the large water jet at the very
bottom.

They're on a city sewer, and I don't notice any other odd symptoms like
gurgling sinks. However, one of them is a little loose on the mount,
but there's no water leaking. It's rare for the clog to occur inside
the trap; it almost always clogs within view right at the drain hole
entry. This makes me think there isn't anything stuck in the trap,
although I haven't discounted this possibility.

Any ideas before I throw them out?!

I have same issue with the two Mansfield stools in my house. Haven't
figured out a solution. I now know enough never to consider Mansfield
for anything. I lean toward American Standard or Kohler.