Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Toilet clogs frequently

In article , " wrote:
I know this has been discussed before, and I've done a lot of reading
about this problem and some troubleshooting. I'm almost ready to
throw the toilets out and buy new ones.

[snip]
They're on a city sewer, and I don't notice any other odd symptoms
like gurgling sinks. However, one of them is a little loose on the
mount, but there's no water leaking. It's rare for the clog to occur
inside the trap; it almost always clogs within view right at the drain
hole entry. This makes me think there isn't anything stuck in the
trap, although I haven't discounted this possibility.

Do you think maybe you should actually find out, instead of just guessing?
You said the toilets are nearly 30 years old, but you've only been in the
house for about a year -- you have no idea at all what somebody else's kids
might have tried to flush down the toilets during the last 25+ years.

Any ideas before I throw them out?!

Find out if there's anything stuck in the trap. Usually, snaking with a closet
auger is sufficient to take care of that. You may need to remove them and
inspect from the bottom.

--
Regards,