Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham. Graham. is offline

Default Strange electrical problem

"Mano" wrote in message
OK open to ideas here with this one :-

we have a mcb style mains board (crabtree from memory) which has an RCD
device built in. Normally when when for an example a bulb goes the trip
for that lighting circuit goes bit of a pain but we can live with it.
However yesterday and today has been a nightmare with the main breaker
tripping on average every two hours! No individual circuit goes and
throwing the break brings everything back to normal (apart from having to
reset the times on the cooker microwave stero etc!).

At a loss for any ideas. Nothing has changed regarding load no new devices
etc and its happened day and night so its not something we are manually
turning on or off.

any ideas where to start ?

Not strange, in fact a common problem.
Search this group for RCD nuisance trip
Start by unplugging all non essential earthed
appliances and see if it stops.
Tripping individual MCBs and waiting a few hours might
eliminate those circuits, but then again it might not
if the leakage is neutral to earth.
Sometimes its not just one appliance, its the combination
of several small earth leakages that trips the RCD.
Particularly suspect anything that is closely associated with water
Kettles
CH water pumps
Junction boxes exposed to the elements
--