Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Repair ATX power supply

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
. ..
These are rarely repaired, however often the problem is bad electrolytic
capacitors. Occasionally one will grenade in such a way as to cook

virtually
every semiconductor in it, but often they just refuse to start up. Check

the
standby power supply, if that's ok then try to figure out why the main one
won't start up.

I think you may be onto something.. I took a closer look and several
capacitors appear to be bulging a bit at the top.. one does have brown
stuff around the edge, but I figured this was rust or crap that collects
like dust, etc.. (but none of the others have this).. all the
capacitors
in question are 1000uF - 2200uF, 10 - 16V.. the small ones look fine..

As for standby power, yes I get +5VSB, it just refuses to turn on and
deliver the rest.. is this common ? I'm guessing there is a seperate
circuit for standby voltage ?

Chris

If the caps are bulging, they're bad. It was a real common problem for a few
years.