Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default Any product from China worth buying?

Hi All,

Just wondering, because I'm having terrible luck with anything made in
China. In most cases I have no choice, but to buy the junk that fails a
month after the warranty.

About a year ago, I got two small space heaters. Both made in China, but
different brands. They lasted one winter with only occasional use.

One failed completely - this is one from Target, made by Midea Fan Mfg. The
one-shot thermal protector opened. Second was made by (rather marketed by)
Holmes, but also made in China. The Holmes unit burned one of the heating
elements and was only putting out low heat.

I bought the Holmes, because the last heater I had from them lasted 15
years. The difference seems to be where they are made. Even if China
sourced products are sold at half the price, my cost over 15 years will be 5
times.

Both are very simple appliances. Can't the Chinese make anything that will
even approach what was on the US market before?

RichK