Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Larry Jaques (vise)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:43:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus24248 quickly quoth:

I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

You may rue the day you bought a large, swivel-jaw vise from HF, but
if it locks well in place, without the jaws turning, you're in luck. I
took another look at mine and it's a 6-inch, not 5. The main reason I
bought that specific vise was that it was very large. I could use it
as a press for U-joints and it would take a beating as well. And for
under $25 (1970s dollars), it was a good value. I'm still beating the
hell out of it nearly 40 years later. It was my main bending jig for
years, too. Speaking of which, I need to anchor that HF bender to a
bench some day soon.

G'luck with your 5655.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003