Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race Malcolm Race is offline

Default Replacing glass panes with double-glazed units

geraldthehamster wrote:
I have some quite large timber-framed casement windows in the front of
my house. As the frames are in serviceable condition, I had wondered
about replacing the glass panes with double-glazed units, in the same
frames, as a less expensive alternative to having the entire windows
replaced. I think the frames are deep enough. Has anyone done this?
Would I simply bed the units into the rebate, in glazing silicone or
similar, put some beading over, and job done? How thick are today's
standard DG units? Can one get them made to measure? Who makes them,
and how much do they cost?

I've searched the archives, but couldn't find anything on this.

Regards
Richard

AFAI you can have DG units made with the inner and outer panes of
different size. The outer pane can be the size of the origiak pane ad
the inner a size to fit through the frame. (attempt at ASCII art)

---| Frame

-----

| DG panel
|----
| |

I have DH in wooden frames fited in 1998 in a new build and the gap in
the panel is about half of that in a window fitted in a 2003 extension.
BR might determine the gap you need.

Malcolm