Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Adding water to small bar in garage conversion

According to Mike Lewis :

"Alex" wrote in message
Hello,

We're converting our garage into a family/game room, and we'd like to
add a small bar with running water for making drinks, washing hands,
etc. This new room will be a good distance from the kitchen or any
water sources in the house, plus we have a concrete foundation.

Just curious, would it be feasible or recommendable to run flexable
hose of some sort through the attic to this sink from the kitchen or
someplace else in the house? I've seen this done with copper tubing
to add water behind a fridge for an ice maker, but we're looking at
going about 60 feet if we did this.

If you're in a freezing climate, running plumbing (of any kind) through
the attic is a bad idea. Yes, you could heat it or otherwise try
to keep it from freezing, but the consequences of a failure in
that leading to a leak are pretty horrendous, so you'd want to
avoid it. Yes, you can blow lines. But that is a real PITA.

If you're not in a freezing climate, running anything other than copper
or fully-plumbing-rated plastic pipe thru the attic is also a bad
idea. Some non-rated tubing (eg: the cheaper black PVC stuff, or
some kinds of 1/4" line) aren't safe on the high end of muncipal water
pressures.

As for drainage, since this sink won't be used very much, my thought
is to drain it into the yard as we have a planter just outside where
the sink will be located.

ummm .. drain the sink into the yard .. gotta think this violates code in
any municipality!!

As others have mentioned, grey water systems are common and legal in
many places. They tend to something on the order of a buried gravel
pit, where you can be pretty sure of the drainage. There is some
plumbing code that discusses the requirements (in areas that permit
them).

Classic drywells are a pit to below the frost level, filled
with gravel, and topped with topsoil. The drain pipe ends
in the gravel.

It's common with rural homes that have had additions upon additions,
where, for example, they find it to be extremely inconvenient to get the
clothes washer drain to the septic system. A friend has a fully
permitted/approved drywell for that purpose.

You don't need much for a grey water disposal system. If they're
permitted...

Putting the end of the drain hose in a flower pot or planter is not a
good idea. You might kill the plants, and/or attract things like wasps
or other undesirables depending on what you pour down the sink.

I put in a sink (made out of an old stainless steel bowl) into our
detached garage (used as a workshop) that puts its drain into a cutout
in the slab. The cutout exposes a portion of the gravel base that
has been excavated and topped up with gravel to be about 18" worth
of gravel.

Putting a lot of water or anything but water into that would be bad.
Putting water into it during the winter would be bad.

It's really only for emergency or "I need a glass of water" uses. Only
small amounts of water and only rarely very small amounts of soap go
down its drain - and not frequently at that. Nothing else. The supply
line (cold only) to the garage is shut off and blown during winter.

[The water supply is actually a tap off the irrigation system running
off our regular well water. On the house side of the anti-siphon
valves. The main line is buried CSA-rated 1/2" PVC black
tubing (the "good stuff"). Costs more than double the regular
"utility grade" tubing.]

Our garage drain is probably not adequate for the OP's purposes (which
could be daily use), but it is for mine. My use is no worse on the
gravel than naturally occuring ground water movement.
--
Chris Lewis,