Posted to rec.woodworking
dicko dicko is offline

Default Bringing Back The American Chestnut

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:09:10 GMT, Han wrote:

Tom Watson wrote in
:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/11752597.html

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

I hope that our pinoaks will last until they can be replaced with chestnuts

When I bought my house, I discovered I had a small stand of Chestnut
trees in the back yard. I dont think they're American C'nuts, but
they're not Asian either. As close as I can tell they're a hybrid, but
they produce the most delicious nuts.....

Until this past year: The year of the 17 year Cicada.

I tell ya, all the new reports said, "ignore the Cicadas, they dont do
any lasting damage"... Yeah right! It was like every single Cicada in
a 1 mile radius made a beeline for those trees. There wasnt a green
leaf left standing after the onslaught was over. The trees made a
half hearted attempt at rebudding, but there were only a few leaves
all summer long. Not to mention, no nuts in the fall. :-( I truly
suspect these trees are history. Will know for sure next spring...

-dickm