Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Afghan Bridge Update and Sad News

axolotl wrote:

Winston wrote:

My question

is: if we provide a 30" diameter field that has a power density of 2 W
at 24" and we are radiating at the resonant frequency of the
initiator, would that reliably disarm or failing that, trigger the
device?

I don't know. The MIL-STD for EEDs is MIL-STD-1576. The "safe current"
(the max current/power/time for the squib not firing) listed in the spec
is 1A/1W/5min. Do the bad guys use parts made to the same spec? Do you
want to have to get within 24" for it to work?

I googled and found a 1 KW amplifier good for 30 W at 24". Kewl.

A Friis equation calculator is available he

http://www.learningmeasure.com/cgi-b...ators/friis.pl

Bookmarked. Thanks!

When you start playing with power/frequency/and antenna gain, it backs
you into path loss and radiator size.

You will have a polarization mismatch (circular (presumably) to
something random), and what is probably a lousy match between squib and
antenna.

It would be interesting to experiment, and the task is a worthy one.

You could measure the result of your effort the way EEDs are checked on
aircraft. An optical fiber coated with temperature dependent phosphor is
brought into contact with the squib active element. The other end of the
fiber is coupled to a flashtube and a sensor. The phosphor is flashed
and the decay time of the phosphor is measured. the decay time is
proportional to temperature. You hit the aircraft with 200V/meter and
check the squib for a temperature rise.

Very clever!

--Winston