Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default not able to measure oil tank..

On Nov 23, 2:09 pm, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:
That's a normal way to install an underground tank. What isn't normal
is to need to know how much oil is in the tank. Why do you care?
Most of the time you go on an automatic fill program and let the oil
company worry about it.

I had an old tank like that and tried to use a cable snake to measure
it. Even that wouldn't navigate the bends in the pipe. Had to dig it
up and cut it open to find out it was completely full of water.

On Nov 23, 11:58 am, "john"
wrote:

I asked my oil company if they could measure to see how much heating oil I
have left in my underground 550 gallon tank. And they said they couldnt
measure it because it was right next to the house and the pipes bend around
and cant be checked. I believe the home inspector who inspected my house
before I got it said the same thing.

How could this be possible? What about if someone tried using a retractable
measuring stick..maybe that would work? I find it so stupid that the
original owner of the house would want an underground oil tank like this
that cant be measured. Or maybe it was just an installation error?- Hide quoted text -

Its not a bad idea to mesure your tanks level. Your tank (especially
if underground) might be leaking. If it is, how would you know? Other
than the neighbors tree dying or that you seem to be burning twice as
much oil than before.
Measuring it is not a bad idea. Automatic program or not!
Wouldn't want to see the enviromental bills! Prevention is the key