Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default not able to measure oil tank..

john wrote:
I asked my oil company if they could measure to see how much heating oil
I have left in my underground 550 gallon tank. And they said they
couldnt measure it because it was right next to the house and the pipes
bend around and cant be checked. I believe the home inspector who
inspected my house before I got it said the same thing.

How could this be possible? What about if someone tried using a
retractable measuring stick..maybe that would work? I find it so
stupid that the original owner of the house would want an underground
oil tank like this that cant be measured. Or maybe it was just an
installation error?

Normally, a separate riser pipe from the tank is used
for a "stick well". This 2" pipe rises vertically and
terminates in a special brass plug which can be unscrewed with
a tool to permit dropping a measuring stick down.

Your tank may already have one but has been covered over by
lawn growth, etc. You might find it with a metal detector.

Jim