Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:24:50 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal to
me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for
something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want, if
it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with the
room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and he
is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I think
another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in between
panes of glasses is correct.

I used to work in a hardware store. They had a large roll of thin
film tinted plastic that is semi mirrored on one side. This is
applied with a thin soap solution to any window and they will cut the
length you need from the roll and charge you accordingly. The roll
was probably 30 inches wide. The mirrored side reflects sunlight
thereby preventing the sunlight overheating the room or bleaching the
contents. It also prevents people from outside looking in under
daylight conditions. In darkness the light inside the room will allow
someone on the outside see through the window as through tinted
sunglasses. I haven't seen this product in any harware store for the
last 10 years. But then I haven't seen those frosted (crazed pattern)
plastic films for windows either. Maybe ask around especially from
the smaller (non big box) hardware stores.