Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

In article , CJT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article ,

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:52:09 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote Re 220 volt to 110 volt:

Yes, it is -- and you've made the same mistake that Steve did.

What mistake is that? Believing what the OP said? You may know
electricity, but Steve's "English language interpretation" of the
original post is correct. I'd say it's up to the OP to come back and
say, oops, I don't have a neutral, rather than you making that
assumption. No matter how reasonable and logical you think that
assumption is, it's one that absolutely contradicts the statements made
by the OP.

Well said and completely correct.

Well said, yes, but completely INcorrect. In no way does it contradict any
statements made by the OP.

Ahem. The OP said he had a common. You say he doesn't. Therefore, you
are contradicting him. That, sir, is about as simple as logic gets.

No, I didn't contradict him -- but I'm contradicting *you*. The OP did *not*
specifically say that he does have a common. He asked about connecting it to
"the common" but never explicitly stated that he verified that there is
actually such a conductor present.

He said "the common" and not "some common" or "a common" and certainly
not "the common that isn't there."

The point is, 240V motor circuits normally do not have one, and many people
(obviously including some participants in this thread) don't know it. In the
absence of specific statements otherwise, it's far more likely that the OP is
assuming its existence without having verified it: if he understood how 240V
circuits are wired, he would have known what to look for and what to do with
what he found -- and not needed to ask the question.

--
Regards,