Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"KLS" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:37:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal
me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for
something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want,
if
it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with
the
room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and
he
is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I
think
another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in
between
panes of glasses is correct.
[cut]
You need to find a creative glass craftsperson. They're out there. Maybe
call an architect's office and ask for recommendations. Some of these
places
are buried unobtrusively in industrial parks, instead of having flashy
storefronts and big ads in the yellow pages.

Frosted glass may be hard to find, but you should easily be able to
find reeded glass, which will reveal only shadows and looks great and
would be easy to install in your current window.

Plenty of businesses have frosted glass, often with designs or their
company name as part of the pattern. Unless you live in the sticks, it's
not hard to find. What's hard is getting people to open the phone book and
put a little effort into finding things.

I do intend to call around and see. The reason I didn't do it in the first
place is because these are NEW windows. I was hoping I could order the
windows with the proper glass on them but the manufacturers don't offer that
option and the installer does not either. So yes I think you are right I
need to order clear glass, then get glass companies who will offer
speciality glass to come measure the window, the break/remove the clear
glass and install new glass, then reglaze etc...I was justin hoping I could
get the window that way without the extra time money and hassle.

MC