Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default How do I shutoff or block sewer line while replacing the shutoffvalve?

Speedy Jim wrote:
Kevin Ricks wrote:
I recently had to replace my sewage pump. The PO put in a PVC ball
valve to shut off the sewage when pump repairs are needed.
The PVC valve would not move and I broke the turn handle while trying.
....Why anybody puts PVC valve underground and expects it to work
after a week or 2 is a subject for another thread...
Luckily I did manage to replace the pump without shutting off the
valve as there was a check valve before the pump which held stuff back.
I would like to replace the PVC ball valve with a brass gate valve.
It's about 75 to 100' of 2" PVC pipe to the street with about 12-18"
rise. The valve located near the pump. I am not sure if its just the
gravity fed contents of the pipe or if I will continuously get stuff
under pressure from the main sewer line as well?
How can I block the line while cutting out the bad valve and gluing a
fitting for the new valve? I was thinking of some kind of balloon or
air bladder if such a thing exists for that purpose?
Thanks
Kevin

Try one of these:
http://www.cherneind.com/products-display.asp?pind=pp_1

The rubber bladder makes a very tight seal when pressurized.

Go to their product menu for other devices.

A bit tricky to do what you want. I guess you would need
to pressurize the bladder, pinch the inlet hose shut,
disconnect hose, slide the old valve (which has been cut)
over the inlet hose and then slide the new fittings in.

You don't need water to pressurize; compressed air will work fine.

Jim

Thanks I will look into those if not too expensive.

I may try and use a bicycle inner tube. Or maybe something biodegradable
like a couple rolls of TP?
I may wait till spring when I can pump a bunch of irrigation water
through the pipe to clean it out a bit before starting.

Kevin