Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Sealing heating ducts

In article ,
dicko wrote:

Last weeks Ask This Old House episode had an item about sealing
heating ducts. They mentioned that you shouldnt use use Duck Tape to
do the sealing because the adhesive dries out after a few years. They
said to use metallic tape instead.

My question is, why doesnt the metallic tape adhesive dry out too? Is
it different from that used on Duck Tape?

I'm also wondering why I couldnt just use the tape used to seal the
joints in Tyvek house wrap. Its supposed to last many many years and
it sure is tenacious and sticks to anything.

-dickm

WAG here but since metal doesn't breathe like cloth, the adhesive isn't
exposed to air. That could make a significant contribution to longevity.