Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.electronics.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default switch grounded outlet combo question.

According to Art :
Jamie wrote:

All runs of H/N to each outlet needs to be of equal length. This is
very important especially when it comes to CFCI and arc breakers.

Why do they need to be of equal length? In some cases the hot runs to a
switch and then back to the outlet making it quite a bit longer. In a
completed circuit I can't see how it could matter... ?

Er, I don't think they "have to be", other than as a logical
consequence of all of the conductors for a given circuit
have to be within the same sheathing (or raceway). Part of
this is ensuring you don't get confused as to which neutral
goes with which hot.

Most of the time that is...

A light fixture with a switch leg has a hot path considerably longer
than the neutral path - twice as long as the switch leg.

This is in contrast to knob and tube where the individual conductors
were run independently of each other. They often got confused
as to which neutral went with which hot.

I don't believe that different H/N lengths make much difference to
GFCI or AFCI, except in extreme and unusual situations. Eg: if you
wrapped the neutral many times around an operating fluorescent
ballast I could see it tripping a GFCI. _Maybe_.
--
Chris Lewis,