Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing heating ducts

"dicko" wrote in message
news
Last weeks Ask This Old House episode had an item about sealing
heating ducts. They mentioned that you shouldnt use use Duck Tape to
do the sealing because the adhesive dries out after a few years. They
said to use metallic tape instead.

My question is, why doesnt the metallic tape adhesive dry out too? Is
it different from that used on Duck Tape?

I'm also wondering why I couldnt just use the tape used to seal the
joints in Tyvek house wrap. Its supposed to last many many years and
it sure is tenacious and sticks to anything.

-dickm

There are thousands of types of adhesives for many different uses. Use the
one appropriate for your situation for best results. The Tyvek tape may or
may not hold up on sheet metal that is heated. Just don't bitch if it does
not work. I doubt an of us here know the proprietary formulations of the
different tapes to give you the definitive answer.