Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default How do you make your own tools?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:48:49 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I've got 3 of these and they just LOWERED the price on 'em..

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx230.html

They work well for me and hold an edge well.. and they're inexpensive enough
have 2 or 3 sharpened and ready when you start a bowl..YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I have the BB set of Bowl gouges, ground into a shallow, short grind,
just for finish work. But I also use BB and the red-handle HF chisels to
play with different grinds. So much better to use up a $20 chisel on
learning what grind to use then a $100 chisel

I've been using their bowl set for a couple of years but when they lowered the
price I ordered three 5/8" bowl gouges and a 1" roughing gouge..
Besides liking to have a lineup of sharp tools so I don't make as many trips to
the grinder or have to change setups on the true grind as often, I have folks
come over to learn turning..
I used to start them out on the HF chisels but found that that learn better with
a heavier chisel... The BB have a lot more steel in them than the thinner,
lighter HF ones.. YMWV