Posted to rec.woodworking
mapdude mapdude is offline

Default Rigid Band Saws?

Don't forget you need wood to play with. ;-)

Part of what I inherited was about 1500 BF of wood that my dad bought
from an old woodworker up in middle tennessee where he lived who had
gotten too old to use it. He bought a Foley Bellsaw planer and some hand
tools and two pickuploads of wood for $400 in 1987. I still got 3/4 of
it when we moved him back to town after he got too old to stay at the
farm by himself. Some of the stuff I had never seen before. Zebra wood,
lots of mahogany, walnut, oak, cedar, maple. Had to leave most of the
cedar and some of the walnut cause it had gotten warped beyond use cause
my dad did not store it very well (read in a big pile next to the barn).
I grabbed the best stuff and left the rest.

25 year old Craftsman stuff... That might be some good stuff. Make darn
sure your replacements are truely superior before you "upgrade."

Yeah it held up for a lot of years, but it was starting to wear out. The
arbor on the table saw was bad, could not aligne the blade for nothing.
10" band saw has a vibration since the tires rotted off and were
replaced. The size of the cut is too small to resaw anything of an
adequate size.

Puckdropper