Posted to rec.woodworking
mapdude mapdude is offline

Default Rigid Band Saws?

I had a feeling that most of the reviews I had read on the internet were
from people who had problems and were basically the exception to the
rule for these machines.

Worst case scenario, I will have to put a 200 lb. machine back in the
SUV and take it a block back to the HD for a refund or order a Delta off
the HD website...

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:52:44 -0600, mapdude wrote:

Did some searching for reviews of the Rigid 14" bandsaw. Not too promising.

Are they really as bad as the posters are saying or is this just the
people who have been unlucky to get bad units?

Depends on your budget, IMHO...
I bought the Ridgid a few years ago for a little over $300 and I just don't see
anything as good for that price..
I added the riser kit, not Ridgid but Grizzly, on the advice of some folks in
this group.. same part, different color and about 1/3 less money..

The only changes I've made are blades, a link belt (which helped a lot) and a 4"
hole in the lower clamshell for a DC port..

I've had no issues with alignment, tracking, etc.. cuts pen blanks square and
bowl blanks round..
I'm a professional turner and use and abuse it a lot.. it always does what's
needed, but slowly on the thicker, wet stuff.. it could use a bit more power,
but as I said, it's a good saw for the price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing