Posted to uk.d-i-y
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying cable break with meter

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:31:23 -0800, bilbo*baggins wrote:

While screwing home the faceplate screws on a ringmain twin socket
outlet after easing them for painting, I had a 'flash-bang' moment, for
one of the screws had trapped - then penetrated - the live cable. Doh!
After I'd isolated the whole shooting-match and replaced the fuse, I
discovered that the spur socket, fed from the original ringmain socket,
was dead. So I disconnected the spur cable completely, isolating the
ends properly.

snip

Examine the cable leading to the spur, at the ringmain end. As the screw
penetrated the wire it put an earth on the live conductor, which will
have blown a hole in the copper conductor at this end. You can test this.

First, MAKE SURE THAT THE SPUR IS REALLY DEAD - don't trust the obvious
disconnected wire! It sounds stupid, but mistakes can kill you. If you
don't, your meter will be damaged at best.

You then need to get a connection from the spur (probably using an
extension lead and a plug with 3 wires on it. Use the Ohms range (or
continuity buzzer if it has one) on your meter to verify L-L, N-N and E-E
between the end of the cable in the ringmain socket and the spur. Also
check for short circuits between the conductors.

Fixing it is more of a problem... If there is enough spare cable to
remake the connection you will be very lucky.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net