Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default How do I shutoff or block sewer line while replacing the shutoffvalve?

I recently had to replace my sewage pump. The PO put in a PVC ball valve
to shut off the sewage when pump repairs are needed.
The PVC valve would not move and I broke the turn handle while trying.
.....Why anybody puts PVC valve underground and expects it to work after
a week or 2 is a subject for another thread...
Luckily I did manage to replace the pump without shutting off the valve
as there was a check valve before the pump which held stuff back.
I would like to replace the PVC ball valve with a brass gate valve.
It's about 75 to 100' of 2" PVC pipe to the street with about 12-18"
rise. The valve located near the pump. I am not sure if its just the
gravity fed contents of the pipe or if I will continuously get stuff
under pressure from the main sewer line as well?
How can I block the line while cutting out the bad valve and gluing a
fitting for the new valve? I was thinking of some kind of balloon or air
bladder if such a thing exists for that purpose?
Thanks
Kevin