Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard Stapley[_2_] Richard Stapley[_2_] is offline

Default How do you make your own tools?

Wayne I make as many of my tools as I can, it is the only way to keep the
cost down, I have numerous articles on my web site
http://.www.laymar-crafts.co.uk look in the Hints and Tips Section

RVS

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I have been wanting to make a few of my own lathe tools for a while.
The prices of what I see seem to be very high. At least I thought so
before I started looking for raw materials. I priced 18" pieces of 1/4
x 1 1/2 M2 and M4 tool steel for $110+ and $170+. DANG!!!

So the questions are, what do you use for raw materials (I would assume
plain carbon steel), where do you get it, and what kind of tools do you
make?

TIA,

Wayne