Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a unique situation.

It is a bathroom window. I would like to be able to open that window from
time to time for ventilation or view purposes.

I personally do not like glass blocks.

Even though it is an exterior window on a concrete block wall, it is
exterior to the inside, meaning it is a house with an interior courtyard
with the house on all four sides, so that window does not look into the yard
or street, it looks into a planter area with hanging orchids, and other
plants, so it's pretty obscured. It also makes it a very nice view.

For that reason I would like to be able to see out even while taking a
shower, if possible.

Glass block or obscured glass do not serve that purpose.

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal to
me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for
something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want, if
it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with the
room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and he
is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I think
another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in between
panes of glasses is correct.

I will make a few calls to see what I find.

Thanks!

MC

We used Gila window film for years and it's "one-way" except
at night when the inside lights are on. Our film is
reflective and has a dark maroon color. There is a wide
variety of color tints, reflectivity and transmissivity
available. It's easy to cut and adhere to glass. Most home
centers sell cuts from rolls, it would be easy to buy a
piece and try it.

It has cut our A/C bills and protects everything from UV
fading. Some tips, scrape the glass clean with razor blades
and wash well. You want no dirt and dust when applying the
film, it will wick under the film. They tell you to start
at an edge then cut later. But using good measurements,
sharp blades, and straight edge, cutting to 1/32" smaller
that viewable opening is much easier and faster. Especially
with 3x2 over 3x2 windows. Use plenty of slightly soapy
water on glass, then lightly glide film onto glass and
center the film. Lightly squeegee from center until all the
water is removed, dry the edges well. If you have dirt or
dust, flood it off the film and glass. Ours has worked well
since 1980. Only bad side, it will loose about 1/2 its tint
in 10 years. (The reflectivity & UV block remains though)
It also shatter proofs the glass. You can find the film in
auto stores in smaller sizes and higher cost (it meets a fed
std). After doing the house, we did all the vehicles,
absolutely sold on the film.

btw, you're spending too much time the bathroom, move the
orchids ;-)

-larry / dallas